There are a lot of do-it-yourself home projects, but without a guide to tackling these manageable home endeavors it’s easy to get out of sync. Have you ever asked the question, how do I set a toilet, knowing that it’s probably basic enough for you to handle without the help of an expert? We’ve provided the basics below with the understanding that saving money and providing useful tips is just as valuable as anything in our business. You don’t have to wrestle with the “how do you set a toilet” question again, just follow the simple steps!
First you’ll need to collect the necessary items
- Scraping tool. (for removing the old wax on the base)
- New toilet
- Wax ring
- Someone with a strong back
Now that you’re ready to begin, you should check to see if you can be without a toilet for about an hour.
Here it goes!
- Close the water valve
- Flush and drain all the water from toilet
- Disconnect the water line
- Remove the decorative caps on the base to expose the bolts or nuts
- Remove the bolts or nuts
- Carefully lift the old toilet off of its base and remove it. Be sure to lift straight up.
- Clean the old wax off the base with the scraping tool
- Install new wax ring
- Carefully install the new toilet by setting it straight down on the wax ring
- Assemble the tank and float as per the instruction included with the new toilet kit
- Assemble all the things you disassembled earlier
- Check all of the fittings for leaks
Enjoy your new throne.